Saturday, July 19, 2014

Physically Possible and Emotionally Acceptable

In keeping with Austin Kleon's theory of sharking one's work in progress, here is my current short-film project: Nine Sisters, Parts 1 and 2.  A good number of things need to be adjusted, so I posted a warning to that effect.  What I really wanted to say was, "If you tell me the audio is weird, I'll question your intelligence."  But I was good!

The script is by Robert J. Lee of Two Pages a Week fame; for about a year he either wrote a two-page movie every week or posted one obtained from a guest writer.  Two pages equals two minutes, roughly.  As of today, I've made three short films from his blog.

As I read the scripts, I wondered whether I could physically film them.  Would locations be too difficult or expensive to find?  Were there special effects?  I also wanted uplifting stories, or funny ones.  I didn't want to show humanity at its darkest.  Nine Sisters was one that fit both categories: phsyically possible for me and emotionally acceptable.  Although it felt do-able only after I had filmed a few scripts that involved multiple people speaking.  That had felt daunting before.  The only thing holding me back now was its length: 8 pages.  Wow. Was I that committed?

Today, after having finished a rough edit of Parts 1 and 2, and in anticipation of filming Part 3 in a few days, I began to think more about the content.  Hahahaha.  I was so worried about the filming that I didn't pay attention to the themes.  Weird, eh? 

In all its glory, the not-anywhere-near-finished edit you've been waiting for:


No comments:

Post a Comment