Monday, July 21, 2014

How to Get Good Performances from Actors

After years of shooting documentary-style and swearing I wouldn't work with actors, I now find myself on the eve of my last shoot for "Nine Sisters," my current project.  I've been so preoccupied with learning to use my new equipment, finding actors, finding props, figuring out which angles I'd like shoot from and what I can do given my location (the studio at Access Monterey Peninsula), etc., that I've neglected learning about directing.  

I give direction on where to stand and what to do, but not about emotions, motivation, or the general being-ness of the characters.  So when this article by VideoMaker magazine popped into my in-box today, it was like a gift from the filmmaking gods.  My take-away: I need to remember to constantly encourage the actors and tell them they are doing a good job.  

Here's the link:

How to Get Good Performances from Actors

No comments:

Post a Comment