Sunday, July 27, 2014

Bechdel Test and Women in Blockbusters

My first thought was that the Bechdel Test must involve cheese.  I must be tired after spending the better part of two days editing my current short film "Nine Sisters" and its related side projects.  Yes.  That's my story.

Earlier today, one of the actors in Nine Sisters mentioned the Bechdel Test, which Wikipedia defines as follows: 

The Bechdel test asks if a work of fiction features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. The requirement that the two women must be named is sometimes added. Many contemporary works fail this test of gender bias. On average, films that pass the test have been found to have a lower budget than others, but have comparable or better financial performance.

Even earlier, I happened upon an article called "Summer Blockbusters Need More Crappy Roles For Women" in which writer Gwynne Watkins notes that women tend to go see movies in which women have roles.  Surprise!  

These two things made me think about Nine Sisters.  The roles of Mrs. Petrus and Edna were actually written as Mr. Petrus and Edmund, which meant that Virginia Woolf would've been the only woman.  I hadn't even thought about that; as I've said before, I choose films that I can physically make and that are emotionally acceptable to me.  And then I ran with the actors available to me.  Hmmm.

I'm certainly pleased now that Nine Sisters has 3 women and 2 men AND that they women are not talking about men.  Yay!  Also, I'm hoping one of my related side projects will involve a female musician.

*$#@! I can't figure out how to undo the italicization.  Please forgive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment