Friday, July 25, 2014

Killing Your Babies


Simply, “Killing Your Babies” refers to having to edit out something you love in order to make the story/book/script better. It utterly, completely sucks. [. . .]  I will repeat: it sucks.  Nobody wants to kill their babies. But in the end, you owe it to your work – your world, your characters – to give it the best presentation you can.

The quote above is from an excellent article on writing by J. M. Frey, but it applies to editing video, too.  Crikey!  I moved mountains to get that shot and now I have to cut it out ENTIRELY?  Boo!

Now that I think about it, the first time I heard that expression was a Kevin Smith podcast and it's something he says a lot.  

Maybe I can squeeze the babies in somewhere else?  Like in the credits?


No comments:

Post a Comment