Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Mandolin: from Bluegrass to Star Wars

I filmed musician Dave Holodiloff three days ago and edited a profile of him: interview and samples of the different styles of music he plays.  Bluegrass, gypsy jazz, traditional Italian . . . even music from Star Wars!  

I then uploaded to a group of peers on Facebook and got mostly positive feedback.  I'll be posting more there because . . .

I've always felt isolated, like other video producers were either much more advanced than I, or less experienced, but never in that sweet spot in between.  I'm looking forward to interacting with these fine folks.  I also like the fact that the group has been changed from "closed" to "secret."  Hahaha.  Great!  I belong to a secret group on Facebook!

I have only one camera, so I asked Dave to play the same piece of music twice and just hoped that he would play it at the same speed both times.  The first one was for shooting a steady, wide shot.   I moved around during the second one, shooting from different angles.  I don't particularly care for editing the two versions together, but I do like the way it looks.  It does help that I'm a musician, too. Phew!


I've just realized that the screen shot above shows him wearing two different shirts.  Don't worry; those two shots won't be edited together!

No comments:

Post a Comment